Headmistress of Goa school gets bail in minor`s rape case
Panaji: A court Tuesday granted bail to Sharlet Furtado, the headmistress of the school in Vasco town, where a seven-year-old girl was raped on January 14.
The Goa Children`s court granted her bail on a surety of Rs 25,000.
The headmistress was arrested on Sunday on charges of negligence on her part, which had resulted in the rape of the minor girl in the school premises.
She was booked under various sections of Goa Children`s Act for negligence.
Furtado has been asked to report to the special investigation team of crime branch, which is probing the case.
Crime branch has also booked a case against school authorities for destruction of evidence after the management allegedly gave bath to the girl, washed her clothes and cleaned the toilet where she was sexually assaulted.
The January 14 rape offence sparked outrage with people protesting on the streets demanding justice.
Goa police formed a 15-member special investigation team to probe the case.
The culprit in the case is yet to be nabbed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon