Heat and high humidity forces people to throng beaches in Goa
Panaji: With soaring mercury coupled with high humidity hitting Goa, locals and visitors are thronging to the state beaches to beat the heat.
The Indian Meteorological department in Goa has predicted that the heat will continue for some more time due to the easterly winds.
IMD Goa desk incharge KV Singh said that even nights are going to be warmer in the state. "Whenever there are easterly winds, the temperature shoots up," he told a news ageny.
IMD officials say that the humidity has touched 81 percent mark, causing a lot of discomfort in Goa. Besides, the average maximum temperature is around 36 degree Celsius.
Hence, for people who are in a holiday mood, the 105-km-long beach stretch in the coastal state has come as a relief.
"It’s not just domestic or foreign tourists, but we have seen number of locals increasingly flocking to beaches these days," Andrew Gonsalves, who runs a shack at Calangute beach, 10 Kms away from here, said.
Goa`s prime beaches like Calangute, Colva, Arambol, Anjuna Palolem, Morjim and others are witnessing heavy rush these days with tourists and localites thronging these spots.
Gonsalves said the presence of private lifeguards, who are commissioned by the state government, has come as a big saviour during this period.
"Usually, during such circumstances, people tend to get drowned because of the rush in the sea water," he said.
Surf Life Saving Goa, a subsidiary of Drishti Adventure Sports Pri ate Limited, which has won the tender for lifeguard services, has already rescued several people from the no swimming zones.
The state tourism department has already flagged the no swimming zones on the beachline.
"There are times when drunken tourists refuse to listen to lifeguard and risk their lives," a state tourism official said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference