If Archdiocese invites Pope, govt will endorse it`
Panaji: The BJP-led Goa government Friday said it will endorse invitation to Pope Francis to visit the state during the exposition of relics of St Francis Xavier next year, if Archdiocese of Goa and Daman extends it to the Pope.
The state government cannot extend the invitation on its own as he is a religious head. The invitation has to go from the Archdiocese, BJP Goa unit spokesman Wilfred Mesquita told reporters here today.
The state government will endorse the invitation of the Archdiocese and if Pope agrees to come, the government along with the central government will make preparations to host him here, he said.
"We want the Pope to come. There is no question about it," Mesquita said.
The priests attached to Basilica of Bom Jesus, which houses relics of St Francis Xavier, had shown keen interest in inviting the Pope for the decadal exposition of the patron saint`s relics which are housed in the Basilica, located 9 kms away from here.
Earlier, during the ongoing state Legislative Assembly session, BJP legislator Vishnu Wagh had appealed the government to invite Pope for the exposition scheduled next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan