If Archdiocese invites Pope, govt will endorse it`
Panaji: The BJP-led Goa government Friday said it will endorse invitation to Pope Francis to visit the state during the exposition of relics of St Francis Xavier next year, if Archdiocese of Goa and Daman extends it to the Pope.
The state government cannot extend the invitation on its own as he is a religious head. The invitation has to go from the Archdiocese, BJP Goa unit spokesman Wilfred Mesquita told reporters here today.
The state government will endorse the invitation of the Archdiocese and if Pope agrees to come, the government along with the central government will make preparations to host him here, he said.
"We want the Pope to come. There is no question about it," Mesquita said.
The priests attached to Basilica of Bom Jesus, which houses relics of St Francis Xavier, had shown keen interest in inviting the Pope for the decadal exposition of the patron saint`s relics which are housed in the Basilica, located 9 kms away from here.
Earlier, during the ongoing state Legislative Assembly session, BJP legislator Vishnu Wagh had appealed the government to invite Pope for the exposition scheduled next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?