Illegal mining: Goa BJP admits lapses in its rule
Panaji: The BJP on Wednesday admitted its own
Chief Minister in Goa Manohar Parrikar was "negligent" in
stopping the illegal export of iron ore during his tenure.
It was also a mistake to give Mines portfolio to
Digambar Kamat, then a Minister in the BJP Government, Goa BJP
President Laxmikant Parsekar said at a press conference here.
Kamat later joined the Congress and is now the Chief
Minister and at the centre of a multi-crore mining scam.
"We did not know that he (Kamat) was making money from
the Mines portfolio," Parsekar said.
Asked further about the issue, he said "it was
negligence on part of Parrikar, then Chief Minister, to let
this (illegal export of iron ore) happen."
Comptroller Auditor General (CAG) has pointed out that
from 2004 to 2006, 10.9 million metric tonnes of iron ore was
exported from the state`s ports without paying royalty.
BJP was in power in the coastal state from June 2002
to February 2005.
Public Accounts Committee (PAC), headed by Parrikar,
is investigating the illegal iron ore trade in the state.
Responding to another query, Parsekar further admitted
that there is a possibility of a few BJP supporters or well
wishers being involved in the illegal mining trade.
"I don`t say our workers are not in the mining trade.
If 80 per cent (of those in the trade) are from Congress,
there could be 20 per cent from our party. But we don`t
support them," he said.
The main Opposition party has demanded the resignation
of Kamat over the illegal mining trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'