Illegal mining: Goa govt asked to file FIR against 151 persons
Panaji: The Bombay High Court has directed the Goa government to file FIR against 151 people, including former state ministers, mining company owners and government officials, in connection with illegal mining in the state.
Chief Justice of Bombay High Court Justice Mohit Shah and Justice R P Sondurbaldota has ordered Goa government and state Police to file FIR against all the 151 people accused of illegal mining in Goa as per Justice M B Shah commission report.
Justice Shah, in his extensive report submitted to the Union Mines Ministry, had indicted former Chief Minister Digambar Kamat among other politicians, mine owners and state and central government officials as being responsible for the illegal mining in the state between 2005-2012.
The state has been asked to file FIR within six months. Social activist Kashinath Shetye had filed a complaint with police and CBI on September 15, 2012 against those indicted by the Shah Commission.
As both the agencies failed to register the case, he had moved the high court. Advocate General Atmaram Nadkarni, appearing on behalf of the state, had submitted to the court that since Justice Shah Commission report is challenged before the Supreme Court, the state wants to ensure that in case the challenge succeeds, the FIR would not be null and void.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur