Illegal mining: Goa to file FIRs against former CMs, officials
Panaji: A day after Shah Commission`s report on Goa`s illegal mining was tabled in the Parliament, the state government has decided to file FIRs against two former chief ministers and scores of bureaucrats for their alleged involvement in the mining scam.
State Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told reporters today that FIRs would be filed against former chief ministers Pratap Singh Rane and Digambar Kamat, the then Directors of Mines, then Secretaries of Mines, officials of union Ministry of Environment and Forest and that of Indian Bureau of Mines, within 15 days.
"The FIRs would be based on the findings of the Shah Commission which has pegged illegal mining in Goa to the tune of Rs 35,000 crore," he said, adding that all those indicted by the Commission would be named in the FIR.
The state government will soon decide on whether to file FIR with the Crime Branch police or Anti Corruption Bureau of the state Vigilance Department, he said, adding officials from MoEF and IBM, who gave environment clearances to mines without verifying facts, would also be probed during investigation.
Responding to a query as to how the state could file FIRs against officials working at the Centre, he said, "The offence has taken place in Goa and is related to Goa, so we have all the powers to prosecute the guilty in the state,".
The Shah Commission which probed the mining scam in its report has blamed the state chief ministers and mines ministers between 1994 and 2010 for the alleged illegalities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir