Illegal mining reports will put tourists off Goa: Congress MP
Panaji: Constant reportage on illegal mining in Goa in the national and international media would drive tourism to Malaysia and Thailand from the popular beach destination, a Congress MP said here Monday.
"Who will visit us if people try to project a wrong image of Goa to achieve political objectives? Tourists would prefer Kerala or Rajasthan and, outside India, places like Malaysia or Thailand," Goa`s lone Rajya Sabha member Shantaram Naik told reporters here.
Naik`s statement follows a slanging match between the Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders over responsibility for Goa`s mammoth Rs 35,000 crore illegal mining scam, unearthed by the Justice MB Shah Commission last month.
The findings of the Shah Commission as well as subsequent developments have since been consistently reported in the media.
While Congress leaders said that the BJP-led coalition government in Goa was siding with the mining lobby and not cracking down on those responsible for illegal mining, the BJP has said that illegal mining was at its peak when the Congress was in power from 2005 to 2012.
"Do not malign Goa for nasty political ends, and tell the entire nation and the world how bad we are," Naik said, adding that "irresponsible persons" were spreading a malicious message that there is nothing in Goa except illegal mining.
The Shah Commission report held that a politician-bureaucrat-mining lobby nexus was responsible for the illegal mining in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ