Illegal mining reports will put tourists off Goa: Congress MP
Panaji: Constant reportage on illegal mining in Goa in the national and international media would drive tourism to Malaysia and Thailand from the popular beach destination, a Congress MP said here Monday.
"Who will visit us if people try to project a wrong image of Goa to achieve political objectives? Tourists would prefer Kerala or Rajasthan and, outside India, places like Malaysia or Thailand," Goa`s lone Rajya Sabha member Shantaram Naik told reporters here.
Naik`s statement follows a slanging match between the Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders over responsibility for Goa`s mammoth Rs 35,000 crore illegal mining scam, unearthed by the Justice MB Shah Commission last month.
The findings of the Shah Commission as well as subsequent developments have since been consistently reported in the media.
While Congress leaders said that the BJP-led coalition government in Goa was siding with the mining lobby and not cracking down on those responsible for illegal mining, the BJP has said that illegal mining was at its peak when the Congress was in power from 2005 to 2012.
"Do not malign Goa for nasty political ends, and tell the entire nation and the world how bad we are," Naik said, adding that "irresponsible persons" were spreading a malicious message that there is nothing in Goa except illegal mining.
The Shah Commission report held that a politician-bureaucrat-mining lobby nexus was responsible for the illegal mining in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?