Illegal mining: Two Goa officials quizzed
Panaji: The Goa Crime Branch has questioned Chief Wildlife Warden Shashi Kumar and state Transport Director Arun Desai in connection with an illegal mining case.
The police has already interrogated State Mines and Geology Director Arvind Lolienkar and contractor Gitesh Naik in the multi-crore mining scam, involving Nationalist Congress Party`s national secretary Jitendra Deshprabhu.
Crime Branch officials said that Kumar was questioned yesterday on whether the Forest Department had given clearance for the illegal mine, while Desai was quizzed on the illegal
transportation of ore from the mining site to jetty.
The FIR filed by the police names several government officers, besides Deshprabhu, in the mining scam.
State Mines and Geology Department has already slapped a fine of Rs 1.7 crore on Deshprabhu.
The Crime Branch officials said that Deshprabhu has been operating the mine since 2006 and has already extracted 1.99 lakh million tones of ore from the site.
Deshprabhu, who is yet to be interrogated by the Crime Branch, has filed anticipatory bail petition in the sessions court, that was heard yesterday. The court has adjourned the
hearing for today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!