I`m called Hitler, devil: Parrikar
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Monday said he was often called "Hitler" and "the devil", but he takes those terms as compliments, as people who used the terms were actually referring to his reputation for discipline.
"It is a compliment, actually," Parrikar said, while speaking after inaugurating an exhibition of photographs organised by the Photo Journalists Association of Goa (PJAG) in the state capital.
"No one who criticised Hitler survived. Those who criticised him were sent to the gas chamber," the chief minister added, in obvious sarcasm.
Parrikar, one of the few Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders in Goa to share a rapport with the state`s Christians, has been at the receiving end of criticism from the Congress as well as a section of the media, who often refer to him as "dictator", "Hitler" or "Salazar".
The last is a reference to Antonio de Oliviera Salazar, Portuguese prime minister from 1932 to 1968, whose brutal approach towards Portuguese colonies, including Goa, made him much detested.
"I have been told that the Congress projects me as the devil, as someone with horns... I do not mind it," he said, adding that the comparisons with Hitler and the devilish insinuations were actually misrepresentations of his personal discipline.
"My concept of discipline is twisted by the Congress and the media into something devilish," the chief minister said.
Parrikar lashed out at the media for filing ill-informed reports about government decisions because "the media doesn`t know anything about the manner in which the government functions".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi