In Goa, foreigners secured info through RTI, CM seeks details
Panaji: Goa government has sought details of RTI applicants after it came to the light that some foreign nationals secured information through the mechanism and have filed cases in courts of law against government.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar issued a circular asking all Public Information Officers (PIOs) to refuse information to foreigners and also sought details about those who have sought information under Right to Information Act.
Parrikar asked PIOs to ensure that the applicant is an Indian national.
"There are at least 4-5 foreigners who had procured information under RTI even though the Act makes it clear that only Indians can seek information," Parrikar told reporters.
Parrikar said it was easy to prove nationality of the applicant. "Even photocopy of any document proving his nationality will do," he said.
The move is criticised by activists who termed it as a "measure to harass them".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened