India is a Hindu nation in the cultural sense, says Goa CM
Panaji: Catholics in Goa are culturally Hindu and India is a Hindu nation in the cultural sense, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has said.
"India is a Hindu nation in the cultural sense. A Catholic in Goa is also Hindu culturally because his practices don`t match with Catholics in Brazil except in the religious aspect, a Goan Catholic`s way of thinking and practice matches a Hindu`s," Parrikar said in an interview to New York Times` India blog published on Wednesday.
Parrikar heads a state where the Catholic population is just under 30 percent of its 1.5 million population. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) fielded an unprecedented eight Catholic candidates out of the 24 Assembly seats the party contested.
The 57-year-old chief minister said he was a "perfect Hindu" but added that it was his personal faith and that "it has nothing to do with government".
Parrikar took pains to distinguish Hindu as a cultural rather than a religious term.
"I am not the Hindu nationalist as understood by some TV media - not one who will take out a sword and kill a Muslim.
"According to me, that is not Hindu behaviour at all. Hindus don`t attack anyone, they only do so for self-defence - that is our history," said Parrikar, seen as a critical quantum in BJP`s prime minister-in-waiting candidate Narendra Modi`s think-tank.
He was also one of the leading candidates for the post of party president some years back and headed the BJP`s innovation cell.
The chief minister is a former Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) alumnus and is known for his hands-on style of governance. This is his third stint as chief minister of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'