Information Technology to rescue Goa from illegal mining
Panaji: Plagued with rampant illegal mining, the Goa government has decided to implement an information technology-based system to prevent its valuable resource being exported illegally and evading royalty.
The draft mining policy, tabled on the floor of the House during the recently concluded state Assembly session, has said a `Mines Management System` will be put in place to arrest the illegal iron ore exports.
Goa Mines and Geology department has decided to implement this Information Communication and Technology (ICT) based system, keeping in view the magnitude of the scale of operations involved in mining of iron ore and its exports.
Under the new policy, the existing system of administration and regulating mining in the state would be replaced by the ICP-based `Mines Management System`.
The system is expected to track iron ore consignment from its source - the mining lease or stockyard - to the destination which can be either ports, stockyards or domestic consumers like steel or sponge iron plants.
It will also monitor delivery of each consignment or iron ore at the destination through a mechanism of acknowledgement through electronic information exchange between origin and destination, the Mines and Geology department said.
The system will ensure that the end user, which is exporter or steel plant, is aware about source of iron ore and genuineness of the permits by creation of a central database that is updated in real time, online and available to other controlling departments like forest, customs, police, revenue and ports, the department said.
The Centre had earlier authorised Justice M B Shah Commission to probe illegal mining in the state, which pointed out several irregularities in the trade.
The state government has also admitted illegalities, which are expected to be checked after implementation of the recommendations in the draft policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city