Inmates clash in Goa jail, probe ordered
Panaji: Prison authorities on Saturday ordered a probe into a clash between inmates that left three under-trials injured in a Goa jail late Friday.
A spokesperson for the Aguada Central Jail, about 20 km from here, said that Syron Rodrigues, Amog Naik and Amay Shirodkar, who are undergoing trial in separate murder cases, were taken to a primary health centre for treatment and then taken back to the jail.
"Prima facie it appears that they are members of two rival groups. An inquiry would be able to identify the problem that resulted into clashes," the spokesperson added.
Goa`s overcrowded jails have been in news for internal conflicts as well as escape attempts for the last one decade, forcing the government to build a modern, high security prison at Colvale, about 30 km from here. The new prison is expected to be operational by next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information