Inmates clash in Goa jail, probe ordered
Panaji: Prison authorities on Saturday ordered a probe into a clash between inmates that left three under-trials injured in a Goa jail late Friday.
A spokesperson for the Aguada Central Jail, about 20 km from here, said that Syron Rodrigues, Amog Naik and Amay Shirodkar, who are undergoing trial in separate murder cases, were taken to a primary health centre for treatment and then taken back to the jail.
"Prima facie it appears that they are members of two rival groups. An inquiry would be able to identify the problem that resulted into clashes," the spokesperson added.
Goa`s overcrowded jails have been in news for internal conflicts as well as escape attempts for the last one decade, forcing the government to build a modern, high security prison at Colvale, about 30 km from here. The new prison is expected to be operational by next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- ICC World T20: Pakistan announce 15-man squad; Shahid Afridi to lead, Ahmed Shehzad dropped
- Net Neutrality: Facebook board member's offensive tweet on 'colonialism' leaves Indians fuming