Iron exports likely to witness sharp decline
Panaji: Mineral exploration companies in Goa have warned that iron ore exports from the state are likely to experience a sharp decline this year due to the ongoing row
over illegal mining, with overseas shipments plummeting even before the mining season formally kicked off in mid-September.
According to industry players, exports fell by almost 50 percent during the monsoon this year in comparison to the previous year.
"The worries about decreasing exports were discussed recently in a meeting of stakeholders called by the Mormugao Port Trust (MPT)," highly placed sources said.
The MPT accounts for the bulk of iron ore exports from India. Although the mining season began in mid-September, activity is yet to gain momentum.
Fears are being raised that the government`s directive to companies not to re-handle dumps of poor quality iron ore that have accumulated at pitheads across the state will lead to a
further drop in exports.
Official figures available from the MPT and the Panaji minor port indicate that one lakh tonnes of ore was exported in July last year, whereas this year, only 923 tonnes of ore
was routed through the two ports.
Exports were also down in August this year, with only 237 tonnes of ore shipped overseas in comparison to 463 tonnes last year.
The Goa Pollution Control Board has asked around 40 mines in the state to suspend their operations in the absence of consent under the Air and Water Pollution (Control) Act.
"If there are closure of mines then the exports will continue to be at a similar pace," a senior industry source said, adding that it would be difficult to achieve production
of even 30 million tonnes of iron ore in Goa this year, as against 54 million tonnes last financial year.
As per data, ore exports from Goa have been down since the beginning of the 2011-12 financial year, when the Karnataka mining crisis had a ripple effect on the industry in
Iron ore exports in April, 2011, stood at 4,767 tonnes, as against 5,566 tonnes in the corresponding period last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch