Jailbreak through toilet in Goa; three escape
Panaji: In a sensational jailbreak, three inmates escaped from a prison in Goa after drilling a passage through a cell toilet early Wednesday.
Undertrial Abhijit Patil and convicts Hitler Fernandes and Seby Ferrao escaped from the Sada sub jail at Vasco, about 35 km from here, jail authorities said.
"The jailbreak must have happened after 3 am. They escaped by drilling a hole in their cell toilet," said Levinson Martins, sub-divisional magistrate in charge of the Sada prison affairs.
He said Fernandes, 46, was convicted for two murders in Goa and Karnataka. Incidentally, he was one of the convicts who was recommended to be released by the prisoner sentence review committee.
"Hitler and Seby have a previous history of jail breaks," he said.
Four jail staffers, including two officers, were suspended.
Chief Minister Digambar Kamat informed the Goa legislative assembly that a magisterial enquiry has also been initiated to probe the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city