Jailed Nigerians withdraw hunger strike

Last Updated: Saturday, November 9, 2013 - 12:07

Panaji: Three Nigerians, who were on a hunger strike in a jail here demanding their statements be recorded by Goa human rights panel, have ended their fast.

The strike was withdrawn last night after Goa Human Rights Commission members met them at Aguada Central Jail near here and recorded their statements, prison sources said on Saturday.

However, it was not clear in what regard they gave their statements.

Anane Innocent, Olcoro Ndidi and Sunday Onye, who were amongst the 52 Nigerians arrested by police for blocking a highway in Goa and creating ruckus last week over a murder, were not eating food since Thursday, the sources said.

Those arrested are lodged at Aguada Jail. A majority of them started a hunger strike on Thursday demanding African food be served to them in place of Goan dishes, they said.

The plea by Nigerians was rejected by jail officials. But three of them continued the fast demanding that human rights panel members should meet them and record their statements, a senior jail official said.

Inspector General (Prisons) Mihir Vardhan confirmed the hunger strike by Nigerians but refused to give details.

Protesting the murder of a Nigerian in Mapusa, a group of 200 nationals from the African country had blocked a major highway in Goa and clashed with the police and locals.

Subsequently, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar ordered the police and officials to identify and deport Nigerians who are staying illegally in the tourist state.


Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.

First Published: Saturday, November 9, 2013 - 12:07

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus