Jailed Nigerians withdraw hunger strike
Panaji: Three Nigerians, who were on a hunger strike in a jail here demanding their statements be recorded by Goa human rights panel, have ended their fast.
The strike was withdrawn last night after Goa Human Rights Commission members met them at Aguada Central Jail near here and recorded their statements, prison sources said on Saturday.
However, it was not clear in what regard they gave their statements.
Anane Innocent, Olcoro Ndidi and Sunday Onye, who were amongst the 52 Nigerians arrested by police for blocking a highway in Goa and creating ruckus last week over a murder, were not eating food since Thursday, the sources said.
Those arrested are lodged at Aguada Jail. A majority of them started a hunger strike on Thursday demanding African food be served to them in place of Goan dishes, they said.
The plea by Nigerians was rejected by jail officials. But three of them continued the fast demanding that human rights panel members should meet them and record their statements, a senior jail official said.
Inspector General (Prisons) Mihir Vardhan confirmed the hunger strike by Nigerians but refused to give details.
Protesting the murder of a Nigerian in Mapusa, a group of 200 nationals from the African country had blocked a major highway in Goa and clashed with the police and locals.
Subsequently, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar ordered the police and officials to identify and deport Nigerians who are staying illegally in the tourist state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH