Jailed Nigerians withdraw hunger strike
Panaji: Three Nigerians, who were on a hunger strike in a jail here demanding their statements be recorded by Goa human rights panel, have ended their fast.
The strike was withdrawn last night after Goa Human Rights Commission members met them at Aguada Central Jail near here and recorded their statements, prison sources said on Saturday.
However, it was not clear in what regard they gave their statements.
Anane Innocent, Olcoro Ndidi and Sunday Onye, who were amongst the 52 Nigerians arrested by police for blocking a highway in Goa and creating ruckus last week over a murder, were not eating food since Thursday, the sources said.
Those arrested are lodged at Aguada Jail. A majority of them started a hunger strike on Thursday demanding African food be served to them in place of Goan dishes, they said.
The plea by Nigerians was rejected by jail officials. But three of them continued the fast demanding that human rights panel members should meet them and record their statements, a senior jail official said.
Inspector General (Prisons) Mihir Vardhan confirmed the hunger strike by Nigerians but refused to give details.
Protesting the murder of a Nigerian in Mapusa, a group of 200 nationals from the African country had blocked a major highway in Goa and clashed with the police and locals.
Subsequently, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar ordered the police and officials to identify and deport Nigerians who are staying illegally in the tourist state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Leaked Scorpene papers won't affect stealth aspect: Indian Navy
- Powerful 6.8 magnitude quake damages Myanmar`s famed Bagan temples: Police
- Hyundai Elantra 2016: Enjoy 360 Experience drive with Shah Rukh Khan
- Police Scotland make hijab part of official uniform
- Bastian Schweinsteiger not giving up on Manchester United