Journalists criticise Tarun Tejpal`s defence in rape trial
Panaji: Tehelka editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal`s likening of his rape trial to a secular versus communal battle has been criticised by his journalistic peers on Twitter.
Tejpal, without naming the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Monday said in his statement that the "motivated" trial against him was akin to an attack on "Indian pluralism by communal forces".
He also warned that the alleged political crusade against him was a "a warning shot across the bows of all liberals and opponents of communal politics".
Former senior editor at Caravan magazine Jonathan Shanin termed Tejpal`s stance a "disgusting defence".
Taking a jibe at Tejpal, former journalist and political commentator Swapan Dasgupta tweeted: "Is Tarun Tejpal suggesting that foisting yourself on an unwilling woman is a feature of `dissent` & the fight against `fascism`?"
Tejpal`s statement, his first formal reaction since his arrest 80 days ago, comes on the heels of two days of hectic activity which saw formal sexual assault charges being slapped against the Tehelka founder-editor and his bail plea postponed by the Bombay High Court until March 4.
Tejpal in his statement said: "This is a warning shot across the bows of all liberals and opponents of communal politics."
"It`s a crying shame that a major party that is bidding to rule the great pluralism that is India is imbued with no tolerance of dissenters and critics, of whom I certainly am one."
"I`m afraid what we are witnessing here is an early sign of the inherent fascism of the right wing that will target its detractors in the most sinister and underhand ways, using all the government machinery at its disposal," he said.
Earlier, Tejpal had accused Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar for his travails.
A junior colleague has accused Tejpal of alleged rape during ThinkFest, a high-profile conference organised by the Tehelka founder in Goa. The victim has claimed that she was sexually assaulted twice Nov 7 and 8.
After a brisk investigation, Crime Branch of Goa Police charged Tejpal under Sections 354, 354-A (sexual harassment), 341 and 342 (wrongful restrain), 376 (rape), 376(2)(f) and 376 (2)(k) (takes advantage of his official position and commits rape in his custody).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof