Kamat discusses mining issue with commission
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Digambar Kamat
met members of the Shah Commission as a part of the inquiry
initiated against the illegal mining trade in the state.
Kamat, who also holds the mining portfolio, had a lengthy
discussion with Justice M B Shah and his key member U V Singh
Shah Commission had said that if required they would
summon Chief Minister for the inquiry. Sources said that Kamat
was not summoned but went on his own to meet the members.
Another Congress minister Vishwajit Rane also met the
Commission expressing the apprehensions that legal mining
should not be affected in a quest to stop illegal mining in
"I told the Commission that legal mining should not be
stopped. There are several thousand families who are dependent
on this trade," he said adding that Bicholim and Sattari
talukas, represented by him, has several mining leases and
people dependent on them to eke out living.
"After Bellary situation, there is a fear that
Commission`s report will also clamp down on legal mining in
There should be proper line drawn between legal and
illegal," Rane said.
The minister clarified that he was neither summoned nor
sent by Congress party to represent before Commission.
"I went there on my own," he said.
Eight teams of Shah Commission aided by state government
have launched extensive investigation illegal mining in the
As per rough estimates, illegal mining in Goa is pegged
to be between Rs 1,200 crore to Rs 10,000 crore. Goa exported
around 54 million metric tones of iron ore last year through
its two ports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof