Khandeparkar panel to delve deeper into illegal mining in Goa
Panaji: The Goa government-appointed Justice RMS Khandeparkar committee on illegal mining has decided to probe further the illicit tapping of iron ore in Goa, which will help the government arrest illegalities and prepare a roadmap for future of mining industry in the state.
"The terms of reference of the Committee are very clear. They are not just restricted to findings of Justice M B Shah Committee....It also includes the assistance to the government to decide on future of proper mining in the state," Khandeparkar said.
He said the Committee will not only go through the findings of Shah Commission, but will also probe several aspects which were left untouched by them.
"The Shah Commission has not been able to do many things because of absence of material on record," the former High Court judge said.
"Whatever they have left out would also be investigated," he said.
The state government had notified Khandeparkar Committee to further investigate into the findings of Justice M B Shah Commission, which had pegged illegal mining in the state to Rs 35,000 crores.
The claim of illegality was rubbished by the mine owners, who had stated that they were not given hearing as a part of natural justice.
Khandeparkar said that he has already approved the first draft of the notice which would be issued for the public asking them to come forward with any information regarding illegal mining in Goa.
He said that everyone would be heard during the course of the investigation by the Committee.
"Whoever wants to be heard would be heard," he said responding to a question whether mine owners would be called for hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Swiss fighter jet missing, believed crashed: Ministry
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir