Konkan rail tracks to be restored by July 21
Panaji: The restoration work on rail tracks between Ratnagiri and Nivsar in the Konkan region,
which has been affected due to landslides, will be completed on July 21, the Konkan Railway Corporation Limited said Tuesday.
Several trains have been cancelled or are being diverted due to the landslides.
Senior Public Relations Manager of KRCL, Baban Ghatge said that even though 25 poclains and 150 labourers have been deployed for the restoration work, torrential rains have created hurdles in approaching the affected site.
"Despite the rains, we are carrying out the restoration work on a war-footing. In such adverse
circumstances, we expect the work to be completed by the evening on July 21," Ghatge said.
Railway tracks between Ratnagiri and Nivsar were affected due to two landslides on July 17 and 18, owing to torrential rains in Konkan region.
Ghatge said though the work of removing the mud and slush from the track was undertaken after the first landslide, due to the tremendous pressure of the rubble, a major portion of the retaining wall suddenly gave away at about 4 pm on July 18 making things further difficult.
"These natural calamities have badly hampered the train services on Konkan Railway Route since then," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security