Laxmikant Parsenkar`s questioned over wife`s medical treatment
Panaji: Controversy erupted in Goa Wednesday after the state health minister`s wife became the first patient to be treated in a plush private ward of a newly inaugurated government hospital.
Laxmikant Parsenkar`s wife Smita was recently admitted in the private ward of the Goa Medical College, which comes under the control of the state`s health minister. She was the first person to be treated there after its inauguration.
The issue was raised in the state assembly by Independent member Naresh Sawal.
"Please tell us how is it that your wife was the first patient to be admitted at the first ever private ward of the Goa Medical College, which you operate. Were there no other patients who were more deserving? Why did your wife have to inaugurate it?" Sawal asked the minister.
Parsenkar claimed it was only a "coincidence" that his wife was unwell, when the private ward was thrown open for the public.
"Now that the private ward is functional, any MLA, his wife or child can fall sick. They will be admitted," Parsenkar, the former state Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation