Liquor is part of Goa`s culture: BJP leader
Panaji: Goa BJP leader Dr Wilfred Mesquita has dismissed the possibility of Goa toeing the line of Kerala, which is outlining a ban on sale and consumption of alcohol in a phased manner, saying that consuming liquor is a part of the state`s culture.
"The law cannot come to Goa. Goans drink at wedding and parties. How can it be banned ?," Mesquita said while responding to a query on possibility of the state imposing a liquor ban on par with Kerala.
Mesquita, who is also the party spokesperson, was speaking in presence of Goa unit president Vinay Tendulkar during a press conference yesterday.
"It`s not possible to enact the same law in Goa," he said.
His statement comes in after senior minister Sudin Dhavalikar had said that pub is not Goa`s culture and it should be banned.
Endorsing Dhavalikar, Union Minister of State for Tourism, Shripad Naik too had said that pub culture in Goa should be controlled.
Naik`s statement was also supported by BJP`s women wing which had said that excessive pub culture is bad for the society.
After Congress-led ruling UDF in Kerala recommended shutting down over 700 liquor bars attached to hotels below the five-star categories, the Kerala Government yesterday approved the new liquor policy and also imposed a five per cent cess on liquor.
Announcing the decision, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy had said the Cabinet would formally ratify the decision in its next meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days