Locals beat Nigerian in Goa, no complaint yet
Panaji: A Nigerian was beaten up by locals for allegedly intimidating a woman after an accident Saturday in Goa`s party hotspot, Candolim. But no complaint has been registered yet, a police spokesperson said here Monday.
Eye-witnesses said the Nigerian was driving a scooter in the coastal beach village of Candolim, 15 km from here, when it collided with another two-wheeler being driven by a woman. While the two were engaged in a verbal spat, several locals arrived on the spot and beat up the Nigerian national.
Police spokesperson John Aguair confirmed the incident, but said no record was available with the police as no complaint had filed in this regard.
"It happened after a motor vehicle accident. There was commotion. But no complaint was registered from either side," Aguair told reporters.
The incident comes at a time when relations between Nigerians living in Goa and local residents and the state police machinery are at their worst, after a public conflict last month.
The murder of the Nigerian and alleged police apathy had resulted in the Nigerians blocking a major highway and publicly intimidating the police.
At the fag end of the protest, one Nigerian was severely beaten up by the locals who went on a rampage. A police crackdown on Nigerians had also caused a diplomatic tussle between Nigeria and India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends