Lokayukta row: Goa oppn threatens legal action
Panaji: Alleging lack of transparency in appointment procedure of Goa Lokayukta, a front led by non-BJP parties Thursday threatened to drag the government in court of law.
"The manner in which former Supreme Court judge B Sudershan Reddy was appointed as Goa Lokayukta is questionable," said social activist Aires Rodrigues, the spokesman of the front named `Together for Goa`, which includes Congress, NCP, Shiv Sena and Goa Su-Raj Party members.
Reddy is to be sworn-in as Goa Lokayukta on March 16.
"If the government proceeds with the swearing-in on Saturday, the Front will move the High Court seeking to quash the appointment," Rodrigues told reporters here.
The government has "faulted" in adopting the proper procedure for the selection. The Lokayukta was "hand picked" by State Advocate General, he alleged.
Several party leaders like Congress Goa unit spokesman Sudip Tamankar, NCP state unit spokesman Trojano D`Mello, Shiv Sena leader Rajesh Marathe and Goa Su-Raj Party chief Floriano Lobo were present for the media briefing.
Rodrigues claimed that Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP), which is an alliance partner with BJP, has also lent support to `Together For Goa`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state