Lokayukta row: Goa oppn threatens legal action
Panaji: Alleging lack of transparency in appointment procedure of Goa Lokayukta, a front led by non-BJP parties Thursday threatened to drag the government in court of law.
"The manner in which former Supreme Court judge B Sudershan Reddy was appointed as Goa Lokayukta is questionable," said social activist Aires Rodrigues, the spokesman of the front named `Together for Goa`, which includes Congress, NCP, Shiv Sena and Goa Su-Raj Party members.
Reddy is to be sworn-in as Goa Lokayukta on March 16.
"If the government proceeds with the swearing-in on Saturday, the Front will move the High Court seeking to quash the appointment," Rodrigues told reporters here.
The government has "faulted" in adopting the proper procedure for the selection. The Lokayukta was "hand picked" by State Advocate General, he alleged.
Several party leaders like Congress Goa unit spokesman Sudip Tamankar, NCP state unit spokesman Trojano D`Mello, Shiv Sena leader Rajesh Marathe and Goa Su-Raj Party chief Floriano Lobo were present for the media briefing.
Rodrigues claimed that Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP), which is an alliance partner with BJP, has also lent support to `Together For Goa`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?