Long term visas for Goans settled abroad
London: The Union Home Ministry has advised
Indian missions abroad to extend long-term visas to Goans
settled abroad, NRI Commissioner Eduardo Faleiro has said.
Inaugurating a two-day global Goans Convention at the
Indian Gymkhana near Osterley here, Faleiro said he had taken
up the issue with the Union home minister after receiving
"several complaints from Goans holding foreign passports that
some of our Embassies and High commissions abroad issue them
tourist visas, lasting three to six months."
Faleiro, a former Union Minister of State for External
Affairs, said that the Union Home Minister agreed that the
procedure being followed is not correct and that Goans settled
abroad must be given long-terms visas or X (extendable)
"The minister informed me that his Ministry is
advising the Missions concerned as well as the Foreigners
Regional Registration Office, Goa to ensure that long term
visas are issued to them and these visas are extended from
time to time," Faleiro.
He advised all Non-Resident Goans holding foreign
passports to apply at the earliest for a PIO (Person of Indian
Origin) or OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) card.
"This will entitle them to stay in India for 15 years
or 30 years respectively without any need for a visa. The PIO
and OCI cards are renewable."
"In order to redeem the grievances of non-resident
Goans, we have decided that every Goan organisation abroad
should nominate one representative based in Goa of each
country with substantial Goan population and this
representative should submit the grievances of Goan
expatriates to our office.
Our Office will then forward these complaints to the
concerned department and we expect redressal within a month.
When this is not possible, status reports will be issued to
the concerned individual every month indicating the progress
in the settlement of his grievances until the matter is
He said Youth of Goan origin who are not Indian
nationals should have an opportunity to discover Goa in
particular and India in general so that they may contribute to
and promote understanding, goodwill, and cooperation between
their country of adoption and the country of origin which is
For this purpose, "Know Goa Programme" has been
formulated. He said under the programme, 10 youths from Goan
diaspora, professionals and students in the age group of 18 to
26 years, will be selected every year to participate in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened