Look for employment avenues other than mining: Parikkar asks people
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Tuesday asked people living in iron ore rich belt to decrease their dependence on mining and instead look for alternate modes of employment.
He also said the government will try to resume mining activity this year.
Extraction and transportation of iron ore in the state has been stopped since September last year after an order by Supreme Court, which is probing the illegal mining.
"We want to start mining from this year itself. The new bench of Supreme Court will hear Goa`s case by April end," Parrikar told the people dependent on mining activity, during distribution of sanction letter to the truck owners, who are being provided financial help under the government scheme to tide over the current crisis.
"In the mean time, we want to start exporting the dump (rejected iron ore which is piled up in and around mining leases)," Parrikar said.
He appealed people to decrease their dependence on mining activity by taking up farming and dairy activities, which are supported by the state government through various schemes.
The Goa government today distributed 100 sanction letters to the truck owners, who will earn Rs 8,000 to Rs 12,000 per month under a government scheme providing them financial help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31