LS polls: NCP to support Congress in Goa
Panaji: After dithering for months, the Congress and the Nationalist Congress Party Sunday finally announced that the two parties would continue their alliance in Goa for the forthcoming Lok Sabha polls.
Addressing a joint press conference, state presidents of both the parties said the alliance would help secure "secular" votes in the two Lok Sabha seats in Goa and help defeat the Bharatiya Janata Party.
"With this alliance we have become undefeatable," Congress state president John Fernandes told reporters here.
NCP president Nilkanth Halarnkar admitted there was delay on his party`s end to formalise the alliance, but also added that without a tie-up, the BJP would have benefited.
"That was the reason why we finally said yes," Halarnkar said.
The NCP had earlier threatened to pull out of the alliance if it was not allotted one of the two Lok Sabha seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion