LS polls: NCP to support Congress in Goa
Panaji: After dithering for months, the Congress and the Nationalist Congress Party Sunday finally announced that the two parties would continue their alliance in Goa for the forthcoming Lok Sabha polls.
Addressing a joint press conference, state presidents of both the parties said the alliance would help secure "secular" votes in the two Lok Sabha seats in Goa and help defeat the Bharatiya Janata Party.
"With this alliance we have become undefeatable," Congress state president John Fernandes told reporters here.
NCP president Nilkanth Halarnkar admitted there was delay on his party`s end to formalise the alliance, but also added that without a tie-up, the BJP would have benefited.
"That was the reason why we finally said yes," Halarnkar said.
The NCP had earlier threatened to pull out of the alliance if it was not allotted one of the two Lok Sabha seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Now, Lexit: London wants to stay with EU, says petition
- UP cops fight publicly over 'share of bribe', video goes viral - Watch
- Make your smoothie a successful summer diet with these magical ingredients!
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic