LS polls: NCP to support Congress in Goa
Panaji: After dithering for months, the Congress and the Nationalist Congress Party Sunday finally announced that the two parties would continue their alliance in Goa for the forthcoming Lok Sabha polls.
Addressing a joint press conference, state presidents of both the parties said the alliance would help secure "secular" votes in the two Lok Sabha seats in Goa and help defeat the Bharatiya Janata Party.
"With this alliance we have become undefeatable," Congress state president John Fernandes told reporters here.
NCP president Nilkanth Halarnkar admitted there was delay on his party`s end to formalise the alliance, but also added that without a tie-up, the BJP would have benefited.
"That was the reason why we finally said yes," Halarnkar said.
The NCP had earlier threatened to pull out of the alliance if it was not allotted one of the two Lok Sabha seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'