Magisterial probe into food poisoning at Goa jails
Panaji: A magisterial inquiry has begun into the suspected food poisoning at two Goa jails in which one prisoner died and over 100 were taken ill, with a one-man committee recording deposition of the prison officials.
The inmates of Central Jail at Aguada and Mapusa sub-jail had suffered from food poisoning on May 31.
Mahadev Gaonkar, undergoing imprisonment for murdering his nephew, had died, while more than 100 prisoners who took ill after consuming the contaminated food were treated inside the jail and a few at government-run hospitals.
Additional District Collector Dipak Desai, heading the inquiry, has asked for the records from authorities like jail, police and hospitals, to begin with the probe.
Sources said the jail officials were also summoned on Thursday to record their statement about the incident.
"The inquiry has to be completed within a month. The statements of everyone including prisoners, officials and doctors would be recorded," a senior official said.
Desai had visited Aguada jail yesterday to begin with the inquiry.
The probe has been initiated to investigate whether there was any negligence on the part of jail authorities or foul play behind the incident.
The magistrate is also supposed to point out defects in the jail infrastructure and recommend measures to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
Food is prepared at Aguada jail for inmates of the two jails which are located within 10 kms of each other.
On Monday, the Goa State Human Rights Commission (GSHRC) had issued notices to the state government and authorities of two jails in connection with the food poisoning incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in