Magisterial probe into food poisoning at Goa jails
Panaji: A magisterial inquiry has begun into the suspected food poisoning at two Goa jails in which one prisoner died and over 100 were taken ill, with a one-man committee recording deposition of the prison officials.
The inmates of Central Jail at Aguada and Mapusa sub-jail had suffered from food poisoning on May 31.
Mahadev Gaonkar, undergoing imprisonment for murdering his nephew, had died, while more than 100 prisoners who took ill after consuming the contaminated food were treated inside the jail and a few at government-run hospitals.
Additional District Collector Dipak Desai, heading the inquiry, has asked for the records from authorities like jail, police and hospitals, to begin with the probe.
Sources said the jail officials were also summoned on Thursday to record their statement about the incident.
"The inquiry has to be completed within a month. The statements of everyone including prisoners, officials and doctors would be recorded," a senior official said.
Desai had visited Aguada jail yesterday to begin with the inquiry.
The probe has been initiated to investigate whether there was any negligence on the part of jail authorities or foul play behind the incident.
The magistrate is also supposed to point out defects in the jail infrastructure and recommend measures to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
Food is prepared at Aguada jail for inmates of the two jails which are located within 10 kms of each other.
On Monday, the Goa State Human Rights Commission (GSHRC) had issued notices to the state government and authorities of two jails in connection with the food poisoning incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued