Mallya to support K`taka tribals facing displacement
Panaji: Liquor baron Vijay Mallya on Tuesday said
he will take up the cause of tribals living in Biligiri Ranga
Hills in Karnataka, who fear being displaced as there are
plans to declare the forest as a tiger reserve.
Mallya, a Rajya Sabha MP from Karnataka, said it is the
tribals who are guarding the tigers from poaching and other
"If they are displaced, there will be no protection for
tigers...The tribals claim they have been co-existing with the
big cats for centuries," he said on the sidelines of IFFI
Moves are afoot to declare Biligiri Ranga Hills wildlife
sanctuary in Karnataka as a tiger reserve that will force
displacement of traditional dwellers from the forest area
located in Yedulndur taluka.
He said he will raise the issue in the Rajya Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation