Manohar Parrikar sworn in as Goa Chief Minister
Panaji: Manohar Parrikar, who spearheaded
BJP`s emphatic win in assembly polls with majority of its own
for the first time, today took oath as Chief Minister of Goa
at the head of a 6-member coalition government.
Four BJP legislators Dayanand Mandrekar, Laxmikant
Parsekar, Matanhy Saldana and Francis D`souza along with BJP`s
pre-poll Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party`s Ramakrishna
Dhavalikar were also sworn in.
For the first time in the history of Goa, the swearing-in
was held in an open ground, instead of at the Raj Bhavan.
Goa Governor, K Sankaranarayanan, administered the oath.
BJP President Nitin Gadkari, senior leaders L K Advani, Sushma
Swaraj, Ravi Shankar Prasad, M Venkaiah Naidu and Rajiv Pratap
Rudy were also present.
For the first time, BJP on its own secured majority in
the 40-member Assembly with 21 members in recent elections.
The BJP-led alliance, with the support of 26
legislators--three from MGP and two independents--had staked
claim to form the government on March 6 after it swept the
assembly polls, toppling the Congress-NCP.
56-year-old Parrikar had earlier been the chief minister
twice at the head of coalitions but could never complete his
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city