Manohar Parrikar sworn in as Goa Chief Minister
Panaji: Manohar Parrikar, who spearheaded
BJP`s emphatic win in assembly polls with majority of its own
for the first time, today took oath as Chief Minister of Goa
at the head of a 6-member coalition government.
Four BJP legislators Dayanand Mandrekar, Laxmikant
Parsekar, Matanhy Saldana and Francis D`souza along with BJP`s
pre-poll Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party`s Ramakrishna
Dhavalikar were also sworn in.
For the first time in the history of Goa, the swearing-in
was held in an open ground, instead of at the Raj Bhavan.
Goa Governor, K Sankaranarayanan, administered the oath.
BJP President Nitin Gadkari, senior leaders L K Advani, Sushma
Swaraj, Ravi Shankar Prasad, M Venkaiah Naidu and Rajiv Pratap
Rudy were also present.
For the first time, BJP on its own secured majority in
the 40-member Assembly with 21 members in recent elections.
The BJP-led alliance, with the support of 26
legislators--three from MGP and two independents--had staked
claim to form the government on March 6 after it swept the
assembly polls, toppling the Congress-NCP.
56-year-old Parrikar had earlier been the chief minister
twice at the head of coalitions but could never complete his
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- Bigg Boss: When Kriti Sanon played Aishwarya Rai’s part to romance Salman Khan
- Media house attacked over derogatory cartoon in Maharashtra