Many Congressmen involved in illegal mining activity: Parrikar
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday alleged that a several Congress leaders including two former chief ministers and current state unit chief Subhash Shirodkar were involved in illegal mining activity.
"There are many Congress leaders who are involved in illegal mining. Subhash Shirodkar (Goa Pradesh Congress Committee chief) is involved in it. Former chief minister Digambar Kamat is also into it," Parrkiar alleged.
He was talking to reporters on the sidelines of the foundation stone laying ceremony for new parking terminus in the city.
Parrikar said former chief minister Pratapsinh Rane, who was incharge of mines department, is also involved and ex-urban development minister Joaquim Alemao too has been part of illegal mining activity. "There are many more from Congress party who are involved in it," he said.
Reacting to the charge, Congress said Parrikar was deriving political mileage from the issue.
"The chief minister was involved in politicking over the issue rather than solving it. Parrikar is not interested in starting the legal mines as soon as possible which will solve the problem of lakhs of people genuinely dependent on mining," Congress spokesman Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco said.
Supreme Court in its recent verdict has stopped extraction and transport of major mineral in the state of Goa in the wake of Justice M B Shah Commission`s findings regarding illegal mining.
On tourism, Parrikar said erstwhile Digambar Kamat government did not utilise Rs 82 crore granted by Centre for development of the sector in the state.
Similarly, the Kamat government did not use Rs 362 crore released by Centre for undertaking developmental projects spanning various sectors in the state, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state