Margaret Alva to be sworn-in as Goa Governor on Saturday
Panaji: Rajasthan Governor Margaret Alva would be sworn-in as Governor of Goa on Saturday after predecessor BV Wanchoo resigned last week.
Chief Justice of Bombay High Court, Mohit Shantilal Shah, will administer the oath of office to the Governor at Durbar hall of the Raj Bhavan at 6 pm tomorrow, according to a statement issued by the state government.
Alva, was given the additional charge of Goa after Wanchoo resigned on July 4, a day after CBI quizzed him in VVIP chopper deal case. He was appointed in Goa on May 4, 2012.
A lawyer and former parliamentarian, Alva is credited with steering several landmark legislations through the Parliament to improve the position of women in society and polity.
Beginning her political career as the only woman Block President in Karnataka after the split of 1969, she went on to head the Congress party`s women`s wing in Karnataka in 1972. She soon moved on to become the General Secretary of the Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee.
Two years later, Alva was elected to the Rajya Sabha.
As a Member of Parliament - Rajya Sabha (1974-98) and Lok Sabha (1999-2004) - Alva served on several parliamentary committees.
She was appointed Union Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs in the Rajiv Gandhi Government in 1984, later moving to the Ministry of Human Resource Development in charge of Youth Affairs and Sports, Women and Child Development.
In 1991, she was appointed Union Minister of State for Personnel, Pensions, Public Grievances and Administrative Reforms (attached to the Prime Minister).
She also served as Minister for Science & Technology for a brief period.
In 2004, her parliamentary experience was tapped by the Indian Parliament with her appointment as Advisor to the Bureau of Parliamentary Studies and Training, a body set up to help improve standards of legislative functioning in Parliament and State Assemblies by training newly elected MPs and MLAs in their work.
Alva simultaneously served as General Secretary of the AICC for five years. On completion of this assignment (2004-09), Alva was appointed the Governor of Uttarakhand in 2009. She moved to Rajasthan as Governor in 2012.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!