Media is corrupt, says Goa CM Parrikar
Panaji: In a blistering attack on media, Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has alleged that most national news channels were being backed by the Congress.
Parrikar was speaking Tuesday at a public function at Quepem, a sub-district located 50 km from Panaji, a few days after the media, quoting opposition leaders, reported that two BJP MLAs had engaged in an alcohol-fuelled fight while they were in New Delhi to attend their party`s recently concluded national executive.
"I want to ask these channels in Delhi, where do you get their benefit from? I know all their money comes from the Congress ... Financially, none of the channels are viable," said Parrikar.
Parrikar, who at a press conference on New Year`s day this year, requested media to report "positively", also asked why newspapers in Goa had chosen to "waste time", writing about the alleged fight between two MLAs.
"Did they not have anything good to show? I am speaking clearly. There is a vested interest. Once this government came to power many vested interests have been pinched. I used to be surprised when the earlier government did nothing, but always managed to get good mileage in newspapers," Parrikar claimed.
Sanguem MLA Subhash Phaldesai, who was at the receiving end of the alleged drunken slugfest at the New Delhi-based Goa Niwas in the early hours of Jan 18, claimed that he had fallen from a flight of stairs at the Chanakyapuri-based state residency.
"I have injuries on my knees and hands. I showed it to the press, but they do not publish it because media has been sold," Phaldesai said, adding that media in Goa was "corrupt and operated like a syndicate".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged