Mhadei dispute like fight between two brothers: Parrikar
Panaji: Downplaying the differences with BJP-ruled Karnataka over diversion of Mhadei river water, Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Thursday termed it to be a "fight between two brothers over property".
"Don`t two brothers fight over property, same way both BJP governments are fighting over Mhadei," he said reacting to Goa`s stand on the Mhadei river water dispute.
Both the states are in a dispute over sharing of Mhadei river water, which originates in Karnataka and meets Arabian Sea near Panaji in Goa.
"What they (Karnataka) are doing is right because they are defending their rights," Parrikar said, adding that as a chief minister, he would be fighting for the interest of Goa.
On whether he will try to work out an amicable situation over the dispute, Parrikar said irrespective of party affiliations any government in Karnataka, either BJP or non-BJP, will have the same approach towards Mhadei river diversion.
"Their attitude would be the same," he said.
Goa has approached the Supreme Court demanding adequate resources for the inter-state water dispute tribunal, which is required to take up the issue, Parrikar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi