Mining baron wants CBI probe in Goa scam
Panaji: A major iron ore exporter and an Independent member of the Goa Assembly has sought a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the multi-thousand crore scam which has rocked the state.
Anil Salgaonkar, a promoter of Salgaonkar Mining Industries (SMI) -- one of the top six mining companies in Goa -- made the demand while raising the issue of illegal mining during zero hour on the final day of the monsoon session of the Assembly.
"I am personally ready for a CBI enquiry," said Salgaonkar, an Independent member from Sanvordem assembly constituency.
Salgaonkar agreed to a CBI probe into Goa`s politician-bureaucrat-mining mafia nexus after he was accused by ruling Congress legislator Dayanand Narvekar of being a "vested interest" because of his background as a mining industry baron.
The Goa Assembly`s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) report has unravelled a Rs 3,500 crore illegal mining racket in the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata