Mining baron wants CBI probe in Goa scam
Panaji: A major iron ore exporter and an Independent member of the Goa Assembly has sought a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the multi-thousand crore scam which has rocked the state.
Anil Salgaonkar, a promoter of Salgaonkar Mining Industries (SMI) -- one of the top six mining companies in Goa -- made the demand while raising the issue of illegal mining during zero hour on the final day of the monsoon session of the Assembly.
"I am personally ready for a CBI enquiry," said Salgaonkar, an Independent member from Sanvordem assembly constituency.
Salgaonkar agreed to a CBI probe into Goa`s politician-bureaucrat-mining mafia nexus after he was accused by ruling Congress legislator Dayanand Narvekar of being a "vested interest" because of his background as a mining industry baron.
The Goa Assembly`s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) report has unravelled a Rs 3,500 crore illegal mining racket in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what