Mining baron wants CBI probe in Goa scam
Panaji: A major iron ore exporter and an Independent member of the Goa Assembly has sought a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the multi-thousand crore scam which has rocked the state.
Anil Salgaonkar, a promoter of Salgaonkar Mining Industries (SMI) -- one of the top six mining companies in Goa -- made the demand while raising the issue of illegal mining during zero hour on the final day of the monsoon session of the Assembly.
"I am personally ready for a CBI enquiry," said Salgaonkar, an Independent member from Sanvordem assembly constituency.
Salgaonkar agreed to a CBI probe into Goa`s politician-bureaucrat-mining mafia nexus after he was accused by ruling Congress legislator Dayanand Narvekar of being a "vested interest" because of his background as a mining industry baron.
The Goa Assembly`s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) report has unravelled a Rs 3,500 crore illegal mining racket in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!