Mining firms should take care of dependents: Parri
Panaji: The Goa government Wednesday said that it would take into consideration how the mining firms treated their employees during the current lean phase, when work resumes once Supreme Court lifts the ban in future.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar today told the Legislative Assembly that the state government has no power to force the mining firms to pay the workers during this period, when mining is halted following an apex court order.
"The state government would consider this aspect - whether the mining firms retained their staff or laid them off - when resumption of mining would be allowed," he said.
"Ideally, the mine owners should look after their dependents because they (owners) have earned a lot from the industry for last 20 years. They can very well take care of the people for one or two years, during ban period," Parrikar told the House.
He said the SC is expected to give its verdict by May.
Responding to a question tabled by Congress legislator Atanasio Monserratte, Parrikar said the state government had suspended mining licences even before SC`s interim verdict, based on the findings of Justice M B Shah commission.
In its report, the Commission has pointed out illegalities worth Rs 35,000 crore by various mine owners, but has also claimed that "the figures need to be verified by actual measurements," he said.
The financial help extended by state government to the truck owners who were left jobless and others rendered unemployed due to mining halt, was a temporary measure, Parrikar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy