Mining firms should take care of dependents: Parri
Panaji: The Goa government Wednesday said that it would take into consideration how the mining firms treated their employees during the current lean phase, when work resumes once Supreme Court lifts the ban in future.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar today told the Legislative Assembly that the state government has no power to force the mining firms to pay the workers during this period, when mining is halted following an apex court order.
"The state government would consider this aspect - whether the mining firms retained their staff or laid them off - when resumption of mining would be allowed," he said.
"Ideally, the mine owners should look after their dependents because they (owners) have earned a lot from the industry for last 20 years. They can very well take care of the people for one or two years, during ban period," Parrikar told the House.
He said the SC is expected to give its verdict by May.
Responding to a question tabled by Congress legislator Atanasio Monserratte, Parrikar said the state government had suspended mining licences even before SC`s interim verdict, based on the findings of Justice M B Shah commission.
In its report, the Commission has pointed out illegalities worth Rs 35,000 crore by various mine owners, but has also claimed that "the figures need to be verified by actual measurements," he said.
The financial help extended by state government to the truck owners who were left jobless and others rendered unemployed due to mining halt, was a temporary measure, Parrikar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi