Mining firms should take care of dependents: Parrikar
Panaji: The Goa government today said that it would take into consideration how the mining firms treated their employees during the current lean phase, when work resumes once Supreme Court lifts the ban in future.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar today told the Legislative Assembly that the state government has no power to force the mining firms to pay the workers during this period, when mining is halted following an apex court order.
"The state government would consider this aspect - whether the mining firms retained their staff or laid them off - when resumption of mining would be allowed," he said.
"Ideally, the mine owners should look after their dependents because they (owners) have earned a lot from the industry for last 20 years. They can very well take care of the people for one or two years, during ban period," Parrikar told the House.
He said the SC is expected to give its verdict by May.
Responding to a question tabled by Congress legislator Atanasio Monserratte, Parrikar said the state government had suspended mining licences even before SC`s interim verdict, based on the findings of Justice M B Shah commission.
In its report, the Commission has pointed out illegalities worth Rs 35,000 crore by various mine owners, but has also claimed that "the figures need to be verified by actual measurements," he said.
The financial help extended by state government to the truck owners who were left jobless and others rendered unemployed due to mining halt, was a temporary measure, Parrikar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!