Mining halt in Goa casts shadow on IFFI
Panaji: The crisis looming large on Goa`s mining industry has cast its shadow on the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) which is currently underway in Goa.
The organisers have cut short their plans to have mega shows across the state as a part of peripheral activity for the festival, while the main opposition party Congress has said that peripheral activities should have been curtailed further.
During IFFI there will be cultural programmes and screening of movies on the beaches at 16 locations across the state.
The state`s economy is currently fearing crisis after iron ore exports from Goa were halted following Supreme Court order.
"We wanted to have mega shows. But we have decided to keep the peripheral activities low profile," said Vishnu Wagh, the vice chairman of Entertainment Society of Goa (ESG), a Goa government run agency.
Wagh said the cultural shows will showcase local singers, dancers and instrumentalists.
"Performing art is a precursor to the film, that is why we have given importance to such shows," he said.
Congress has termed expenditure on these cultural peripheral activities as a `waste`.
"It is a waste of money. These activities should have been curtailed when economy is in the crisis," Goa Congress unit president Subhash Shirodkar said.
Shirodkar said Goa is not in a mood to celebrate.
"The economy in the interior of Goa is going from bad to worse due to stoppage of mining activity," he said.
Around two lakh people are directly affected with the mining halt in the state.
The SC ordered to halt of the transport and extraction of the ore due to the allegations of illegal mining in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah