"The handling of the dumps (low-grade iron ore piled along the mining leases) and ore which is already extracted and lying in the leases, is likely to begin from May this year," he told a gathering of beleaguered truck and mining machinery operators here.
He said all attempts would be made to allow the dumps to be handled.
He, however, refused to elaborate further.
"My statements would be carried in the media and that would be attached by NGOs to the petition filed in the Supreme Court," he commented reasoning why he does not want to disclose his strategy about the resumption of mining.
The truck and mining machinery operators today met Parrikar, a day after he announced a financial package to the people impacted due to the mining closure. However, the stakeholders of the industry, who are left in lurch, were unhappy with the package.
The truck owners complained that the package was limited only for the people living in five talukas and others had been sidelined, following which, Parrikar announced inclusion of those living in Thivim constituency and four panchayats - Usgao, Panchwadi, Shiroda and Nirancal, in this scheme.
The package provides unemployment allowance to those who are jobless due to mining closure and also compensation for the truck owners.
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Monday expressed the hope that mining-related activities in the state, which have been on hold since last September following Supreme Court directives, might resume from May.
First Published: Monday, March 11, 2013, 21:45