Mining must be done only by public sector: Prashant Bhushan
Panaji: The mining industry should be shifted from private players to the public sector, to inject some democratic accountability into it, Aam Admi Party`s (AAP) founder-member Prashant Bhushan said.
Talking to a group of AAP workers in Goa, he said that corrupt mining mafias have been created due to handing over of natural resources to private firms.
"This whole business of handing over natural resources to private firms smells of corruption. Mining should be done only by the public sector," he said, adding that even public sector needs transparency and accountability.
Bhushan said that as far as mining wealth is concerned, it has many externalities and private firms do not bother about externalities.
"Public sector at least has some democratic accountability," he said.
He stated that mining has created mafias, devastated environment and displaced many people.
"Mining is rapidly depleting mineral wealth, leaving nothing for the future generation. The time has come to pause rampant mining, set right the system and resume controlled mining," Bhushan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state