Mining must be done only by public sector: Prashant Bhushan
Panaji: The mining industry should be shifted from private players to the public sector, to inject some democratic accountability into it, Aam Admi Party`s (AAP) founder-member Prashant Bhushan said.
Talking to a group of AAP workers in Goa, he said that corrupt mining mafias have been created due to handing over of natural resources to private firms.
"This whole business of handing over natural resources to private firms smells of corruption. Mining should be done only by the public sector," he said, adding that even public sector needs transparency and accountability.
Bhushan said that as far as mining wealth is concerned, it has many externalities and private firms do not bother about externalities.
"Public sector at least has some democratic accountability," he said.
He stated that mining has created mafias, devastated environment and displaced many people.
"Mining is rapidly depleting mineral wealth, leaving nothing for the future generation. The time has come to pause rampant mining, set right the system and resume controlled mining," Bhushan said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living