Mining report: Parrikar removed from Goa PAC
Panaji: In a late evening development, Leader
of Opposition in Goa Assembly Manohar Parrikar (BJP) was
replaced as the chairman of the Public Accounts Committee
(PAC), hours after he questioned the Speaker`s action of not
tabling the panel`s report on illegal mining.
BJP MLA Vijay Pai-Khot will be the new PAC chief.
The PAC, headed by Parrikar, had submitted a detailed
report on Rs 4,000-crore illegal mining rackets, but Speaker
Pratap Singh Rane refused to table it.
The Congress MLAs on the PAC had questioned the report.
Three Congress members - Agnelo Fernandes, Victoria Fernandes
and Francis Silveira - refused to sign it.
Another PAC member, Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP)
legislator Dipak Dhavalikar too objected to the report. MGP is
a coalition partner in the Congress-led state government.
Parrikar submitted the report to Speaker Rane during the
session. Rane, however, withheld it, pointing out the
objections by majority Congress members. The session ended
The Speaker said that he would have to analyse the report
before tabling it.
Khot represents Canacona constituency. Other BJP members
from the existing PAC - Damodar Naik and Fransis D`Souza - too
have been replaced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America