Mining report: Parrikar removed from Goa PAC
Panaji: In a late evening development, Leader
of Opposition in Goa Assembly Manohar Parrikar (BJP) was
replaced as the chairman of the Public Accounts Committee
(PAC), hours after he questioned the Speaker`s action of not
tabling the panel`s report on illegal mining.
BJP MLA Vijay Pai-Khot will be the new PAC chief.
The PAC, headed by Parrikar, had submitted a detailed
report on Rs 4,000-crore illegal mining rackets, but Speaker
Pratap Singh Rane refused to table it.
The Congress MLAs on the PAC had questioned the report.
Three Congress members - Agnelo Fernandes, Victoria Fernandes
and Francis Silveira - refused to sign it.
Another PAC member, Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP)
legislator Dipak Dhavalikar too objected to the report. MGP is
a coalition partner in the Congress-led state government.
Parrikar submitted the report to Speaker Rane during the
session. Rane, however, withheld it, pointing out the
objections by majority Congress members. The session ended
The Speaker said that he would have to analyse the report
before tabling it.
Khot represents Canacona constituency. Other BJP members
from the existing PAC - Damodar Naik and Fransis D`Souza - too
have been replaced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...