Mining report: Parrikar removed from Goa PAC
Panaji: In a late evening development, Leader
of Opposition in Goa Assembly Manohar Parrikar (BJP) was
replaced as the chairman of the Public Accounts Committee
(PAC), hours after he questioned the Speaker`s action of not
tabling the panel`s report on illegal mining.
BJP MLA Vijay Pai-Khot will be the new PAC chief.
The PAC, headed by Parrikar, had submitted a detailed
report on Rs 4,000-crore illegal mining rackets, but Speaker
Pratap Singh Rane refused to table it.
The Congress MLAs on the PAC had questioned the report.
Three Congress members - Agnelo Fernandes, Victoria Fernandes
and Francis Silveira - refused to sign it.
Another PAC member, Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP)
legislator Dipak Dhavalikar too objected to the report. MGP is
a coalition partner in the Congress-led state government.
Parrikar submitted the report to Speaker Rane during the
session. Rane, however, withheld it, pointing out the
objections by majority Congress members. The session ended
The Speaker said that he would have to analyse the report
before tabling it.
Khot represents Canacona constituency. Other BJP members
from the existing PAC - Damodar Naik and Fransis D`Souza - too
have been replaced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged