Mining scam: Goa govt files criminal case
Panaji: Goa Mines and Geology Department on Friday filed a criminal complaint with the state police in connection with illegal mining scam that reportedly took place during the erstwhile Congress-led regime.
Director of the department Prasanna Acharya, after filing the complaint with the crime branch, told reporters no specific name mentioned in the complaint, but instances which can lead to the people involved in it.
"We have handed over all the documents to the crime branch. We have not specified any individual, but wherever there are instances where we have suspicion we have referred them and asked for detailed investigation," Acharya said.
"Some time back, the government decided that the matter is to be referred for investigation as far as criminal aspect is concerned, which are highlighted in the Central Empowered Committee (CEC), Justice M B Shah Commission and Public Accounts Committee (PAC) report," he added.
The crime branch was handed over a complaint that ran into more than 2,000 pages.
Justice M B Shah Commission of inquiry had pegged Goa illegal mining scam to be worth Rs 35,000 crore.
The name of former Chief Minister Digambar Kamat, various officials of Directorate of Mines and Geology, Indian Bureau of Mines and Union Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) were indicted by the inquiry committees.
The Supreme Court has currently banned extraction and export of iron ore from Goa, asking CEC to conduct detailed investigation into the illegal mining scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?