Mining scam: Goa govt files criminal case
Panaji: Goa Mines and Geology Department on Friday filed a criminal complaint with the state police in connection with illegal mining scam that reportedly took place during the erstwhile Congress-led regime.
Director of the department Prasanna Acharya, after filing the complaint with the crime branch, told reporters no specific name mentioned in the complaint, but instances which can lead to the people involved in it.
"We have handed over all the documents to the crime branch. We have not specified any individual, but wherever there are instances where we have suspicion we have referred them and asked for detailed investigation," Acharya said.
"Some time back, the government decided that the matter is to be referred for investigation as far as criminal aspect is concerned, which are highlighted in the Central Empowered Committee (CEC), Justice M B Shah Commission and Public Accounts Committee (PAC) report," he added.
The crime branch was handed over a complaint that ran into more than 2,000 pages.
Justice M B Shah Commission of inquiry had pegged Goa illegal mining scam to be worth Rs 35,000 crore.
The name of former Chief Minister Digambar Kamat, various officials of Directorate of Mines and Geology, Indian Bureau of Mines and Union Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) were indicted by the inquiry committees.
The Supreme Court has currently banned extraction and export of iron ore from Goa, asking CEC to conduct detailed investigation into the illegal mining scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27