Mining supporters besiege visiting journalists in
Panaji: Angry locals, dependent on mining for livelihood, Friday detained around 30 journalists at Curpem village, around 80 km from Panaji.
The journalists were on a field visit as a part of three- day workshop organised by Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) and Goa Marathi Patrakar Sangh.
"A group of more than 80 locals stopped us and held us for almost two hours when we were heading to a dam in Curpem," said journalist Raju Nayak, one of the organisers.
Police were informed and the journalists eventually left after policemen arrived at the spot, Nayak added.
Locals were apparently angry as mines in the entire state are not currently operating.
Goa is the largest exporter of iron ore in India. However, illegal excavations and environmental degradation have become a matter of concern in the last few years.
Following Justice MB Shah Commission`s report, the Goa government has suspended all mining operations. The Union Environment Ministry has also suspended environment clearances of all the mines in the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory