MLAs, who drove to Assembly sans helmets to be issued challans
Panaji: Nine legislators who violated traffic rules last week and rode to the State Legislative Assembly complex here without wearing helmet, will issued challans, a senior official said on Monday.
Transport Director Arun Desai said the Enforcement wing of the transport department has already procured the documents of the bikes which were rode by the legislators.
On Friday, the erring legislators arrived at the Assembly session, riding five bikes crossing national highway without wearing helmet.
"All the legislators have approached us with documents," Desai said, adding the issue was already discussed with State Transport Minister Ramakrishna Dhavalikar.
"We will issue them challans as per MV Act," the minister said.
Five BJP legislators Glenn Ticlo, Pramod Sawant, Michael Lobo, Nilesh Cabral and Carlose Almeida; three independents Avertano Furtado (state labour minister), Rohan Khaunte and Naresh Sawal, and Goa Vikas Party legislator Fransisco Miccky Pacheco were violators.
The bikes were rode by Ticlo, Furtado, Khaunte, Pacheco and Almeida. Almeida was riding a bike without number plate, while Pacheco had a number plate only at the rear side and Khaunte’s bike had number plate which was not as per the prescribed format.
Speaker of Legislative Assembly Rajendra Arlekar told a news agency that the transport department has not yet approached him seeking him permission to issue challans.
"I have spoken to them (the legislators). But I will not like to bring my discussion with them in public domain," he said.
Desai said that permission of the Speaker is not required as the offence has occurred outside the assembly complex on the highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt