MLAs, who drove to Assembly sans helmets to be issued challans
Panaji: Nine legislators who violated traffic rules last week and rode to the State Legislative Assembly complex here without wearing helmet, will issued challans, a senior official said on Monday.
Transport Director Arun Desai said the Enforcement wing of the transport department has already procured the documents of the bikes which were rode by the legislators.
On Friday, the erring legislators arrived at the Assembly session, riding five bikes crossing national highway without wearing helmet.
"All the legislators have approached us with documents," Desai said, adding the issue was already discussed with State Transport Minister Ramakrishna Dhavalikar.
"We will issue them challans as per MV Act," the minister said.
Five BJP legislators Glenn Ticlo, Pramod Sawant, Michael Lobo, Nilesh Cabral and Carlose Almeida; three independents Avertano Furtado (state labour minister), Rohan Khaunte and Naresh Sawal, and Goa Vikas Party legislator Fransisco Miccky Pacheco were violators.
The bikes were rode by Ticlo, Furtado, Khaunte, Pacheco and Almeida. Almeida was riding a bike without number plate, while Pacheco had a number plate only at the rear side and Khaunte’s bike had number plate which was not as per the prescribed format.
Speaker of Legislative Assembly Rajendra Arlekar told a news agency that the transport department has not yet approached him seeking him permission to issue challans.
"I have spoken to them (the legislators). But I will not like to bring my discussion with them in public domain," he said.
Desai said that permission of the Speaker is not required as the offence has occurred outside the assembly complex on the highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened