MLAs, who drove to Assembly sans helmets to be issued challans
Panaji: Nine legislators who violated traffic rules last week and rode to the State Legislative Assembly complex here without wearing helmet, will issued challans, a senior official said on Monday.
Transport Director Arun Desai said the Enforcement wing of the transport department has already procured the documents of the bikes which were rode by the legislators.
On Friday, the erring legislators arrived at the Assembly session, riding five bikes crossing national highway without wearing helmet.
"All the legislators have approached us with documents," Desai said, adding the issue was already discussed with State Transport Minister Ramakrishna Dhavalikar.
"We will issue them challans as per MV Act," the minister said.
Five BJP legislators Glenn Ticlo, Pramod Sawant, Michael Lobo, Nilesh Cabral and Carlose Almeida; three independents Avertano Furtado (state labour minister), Rohan Khaunte and Naresh Sawal, and Goa Vikas Party legislator Fransisco Miccky Pacheco were violators.
The bikes were rode by Ticlo, Furtado, Khaunte, Pacheco and Almeida. Almeida was riding a bike without number plate, while Pacheco had a number plate only at the rear side and Khaunte’s bike had number plate which was not as per the prescribed format.
Speaker of Legislative Assembly Rajendra Arlekar told a news agency that the transport department has not yet approached him seeking him permission to issue challans.
"I have spoken to them (the legislators). But I will not like to bring my discussion with them in public domain," he said.
Desai said that permission of the Speaker is not required as the offence has occurred outside the assembly complex on the highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand