MoEF will ensure mining resumes in Goa: Prakash Javadekar
Panaji: Union Environment and Forests Minister Prakash Javadekar Saturday said his ministry would work towards speedy resumption of mining in Goa.
Javadekar, who was speaking on the sidelines of a public event near Panaji, also said the central ministry would take a call on the Kasturirangan report on the Western Ghats at a June 4 meeting in New Delhi.
"My ministry will work towards ensuring that legal mining is resumed in Goa as soon as possible," Javadekar said.
Although the Supreme Court has lifted the nearly two-year-old mining ban in Goa, mining is unlikely to start in the immediate future. While the state government has to draft a mining policy and grant leases afresh, the MoEF will also play a major role is issuing green clearances for site-specific mining operations to resume.
Javadekar said his ministry would decide on the Kasturirangan committee report at the meeting where representatives of the affected states would be participating.
The Goa government has already expressed its opposition to the High Level Working Group (HLWG) report authored by the former Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chief K. Kasturirangan, claiming its data was not authentic and did not reflect ground realities in the Western Ghats range located within Goa`s borders.
Kasturirangan was roped in by the MoEF to head a 10-member HLWG to advise the central government on the recommendations made by the Madhav Gadgil-led experts panel on how to conserve the Western Ghats.
The Western Ghats is a UNESCO recognised natural heritage site comprising a contiguous forested mountain range, which stretches from Kerala to southern Gujarat.
The report has faced opposition in several states in the Western Ghats belt, including Kerala and Goa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing