MoEF will ensure mining resumes in Goa: Prakash Javadekar
Panaji: Union Environment and Forests Minister Prakash Javadekar Saturday said his ministry would work towards speedy resumption of mining in Goa.
Javadekar, who was speaking on the sidelines of a public event near Panaji, also said the central ministry would take a call on the Kasturirangan report on the Western Ghats at a June 4 meeting in New Delhi.
"My ministry will work towards ensuring that legal mining is resumed in Goa as soon as possible," Javadekar said.
Although the Supreme Court has lifted the nearly two-year-old mining ban in Goa, mining is unlikely to start in the immediate future. While the state government has to draft a mining policy and grant leases afresh, the MoEF will also play a major role is issuing green clearances for site-specific mining operations to resume.
Javadekar said his ministry would decide on the Kasturirangan committee report at the meeting where representatives of the affected states would be participating.
The Goa government has already expressed its opposition to the High Level Working Group (HLWG) report authored by the former Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chief K. Kasturirangan, claiming its data was not authentic and did not reflect ground realities in the Western Ghats range located within Goa`s borders.
Kasturirangan was roped in by the MoEF to head a 10-member HLWG to advise the central government on the recommendations made by the Madhav Gadgil-led experts panel on how to conserve the Western Ghats.
The Western Ghats is a UNESCO recognised natural heritage site comprising a contiguous forested mountain range, which stretches from Kerala to southern Gujarat.
The report has faced opposition in several states in the Western Ghats belt, including Kerala and Goa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out
- She's just 8 months old but parents want mercy killing: Read her story
- Trump's Brexit remarks make him 'unfit' for President: Clinton aides
- Sourav Ganguly not present during my interview for coaching role, says Ravi Shastri
- Anantnag bypolls: Mehbooba Mufti wins by over 12,000 votes, Congress calls it "murder of democracy"