Monitor Ram Sene`s activities: Cong asks Goa govt
Panaji: Days after Sri Ram Sene stated its plans to set up a branch in Goa, the Congress today demanded that the Manohar Parrikar-led government should monitor the movement of the right wing group.
Goa Pradesh Congress Committee`s working president Fransisco Sardinha said the ban on the organisation is not a solution as they could restart activities in some other name.
"I don`t know whether they can be legally banned but their movement should be totally monitored," he told reporters here.
Sri Ram Sene Chief Pramod Muttalik had recently revealed the group`s plan to open a wing in Goa.
The organisation will be opposing "pub culture" and they, while not resorting to violence, will create awareness against it, he had said.
Sardinha said Sene should not be forcing their beliefs on others.
"You are free to follow different beliefs but you are not free to impose your ideas on others," he said.
To a question, the senior parliamentarian refused to demand monitoring of Sene`s movement across India and said, "I am concerned about Goa. Let us talk of Goa first."
Sri Ram Sene hit headlines in 2009 when its activists attacked a group of women in a pub in Mangalore, Karnataka, alleging indecency.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory