Mopa villagers oppose second airport project in Goa
Panaji: A farmers` committee fighting
against the proposed greenfield airport at village Mopa in
north Goa on Sunday said that about 15,000 people would be
affected by the project.
Mopa Airport-Affected Farmers` Committee (MAAFC) members
told reporters today that almost 15,000 people were getting
affected with the airport project.
"There is vast plantation of different crops that brings
annual income of Rs 80 crore for 15,000 people who are
dependent on these hills for livelihood," Sandip Kambli, MAAFC
Secretary Sandip Kambli said.
He said that the villagers have decided to oppose any
government attempts to acquire their land for the airport,
which offers no benefit to the state and locals in particular.
"International guidelines for airports suggest that
distance between two projects should not be less than 150 km
but the existing Dabolim airport is only about 40 km from
Mopa," Kambli pointed out.
Besides, a new airport is also being planned at Chipi
in Sindhudurg (Maharashtra) which is about 80 kms away from
Mopa, he added.
Kambli said that the land worth Rs 1500 crore has been
earmarked for acquisition for the airport project.
The villagers are a worried lot as they don`t know as
to what would happen to them after being paid meagre
government rates for their land.
"We will not be able to buy a piece of land anywhere
else. The land prices are soaring in the state," he said.
Father Bismark Fernandes, a priest, who is supporting the
people at Mopa said that the construction of airport will
affect the entire Pernem taluka.
The land is situated on the plateau and all the water
springs are fed water from here. All the springs will dry up
once the project comes up, Kambli said.
He said that Mopa village is located in the heart
of Western Ghats which is already declared as a bio diversity
He added that International Civil Aviation
Organisation (ICAO) has already ruled that two airports are
not feasible for the tiny state like Goa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!