Narendra Modi can catapult BJP to power: Goa CM
Zee Media Bureau
Panaji: Even as the three-day Nation Executive meeting of the top BJP leaders kicks-off on Friday amid expectations that Narendra Modi might be given bigger responsibilities in the party ahead of the 2014 polls, support has already started pouring in for the Gujarat Chief Minister.
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar was on Friday quoted as backing Narendra Modi for the prime minister’s post.
“Modi can catapult BJP to power. Modi will take us closer to government formation at the centre,” he said while talking to reporters.
Ïn an indirect attack on senior BJP leaders opposing Modi’s candidature for the top job and the growing factionalism in the party, the Goa Chief Minister said, “Leaders above 65 should introspect if they should retire. Generally they become vegetable as they age."
The reaction from Parrikar came amidst growing speculation that Gujarat CM Narendra Modi’s name might be announced to head the BJP’s Lok Sabha campaign committee, during the party’s national conclave in Goa, though the party seems to be divided on the issue.
Parrikar further said that a decision in this regard should be taken at the Goa conclave, meanwhile senior leader Yashwant Sinha said the national executive is “too large a body to discuss the leadership issue.
With Modi being the top contender for the prime ministerial candidate post, Parrikar also said that the issue should also be decided during the conclave itself.
BJP office-bearers, including parliamentary board members, are meeting today to possibly decide on the issue of campaign committee head and a final opinion on the PM candidate.
BJP cadre and a section of party leaders want Modi to be projected as the prime ministerial candidate soon.
Sources said some of the office-bearers are likely to press for declaring Modi as the campaign committee head during the conclave.
Meanwhile, some of the senior leaders, including Uma Bharti, Jaswant Singh, Shatrughan Sinha and Varun Gandhi, are unlikely to attend the conclave.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued