NCP slams Goa govt over delay in appointment of CIC, SIC
Panaji: The NCP on Saturday questioned the Manohar Parrikar-led BJP government`s delay in appointing Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) and State Information Commissioner (SIC) for Goa and demanded reconstitution of the panel responsible for pre-selection of candidates for these key posts.
NCP spokesman Trojano D`Mello told reporters that the process and the delay to appoint CIC and SIC are indications of the government to throttle democratic institutions which are custodians of monitoring transparency in the functioning of the departments.
"The committee appointed for pre-selection of candidates for these posts, consists of three officers subordinate to the Chief Minister. Hence, the government should immediately reconstitute the pre-selection committee with persons of integrity and persons with records of not being subservient to political powers," D`Mello said.
The NCP leader alleged that the Chief Minister`s delay in getting the process of finalising the candidates after having his subordinates at the pre-selection level, are reasons to believe that he has some person or persons in mind for the post for which he may be waiting for that person to retire from any institution.
"The Chief Minister should come out openly and make a categorical statement that no other person than the present applicants will be appointed on these two positions," the NCP spokesman said.
The posts of CIC and SIC are vacant for over six months in Goa after terms of both the officials expired.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA