NCP to take on alliance partner Cong in Goa LS polls
Panaji: In what could signal end of its long-standing alliance with Congress in Goa, the NCP on Thursday announced it will contest both the seats in Lok Sabha polls.
The NCP`s announcement came hours after Congress short-listed its candidates for both the seats, shaking the long standing seat-sharing understanding between both the parties.
The North Goa seat has traditionally been contested by NCP, while South Goa by Congress.
"We have decided to contest both the seats. The formal announcement on the candidates is expected by March 19-20," NCP`s Goa Chief spokesman Trojano D`Mello told PTI.
D`Mello, along with state desk incharge Dipak Kesarkar and party state chief Nilkant Halarnkar, met party chief Sharad Pawar and senior leader Praful Patel in Mumbai this morning.
The spokesman said, "the high command has allowed us to severe ties with the Congress and go ahead with contesting from both the seats".
Congress yesterday shortlisted candidature of Ravi Naik (North Goa) and Fransisco Sardinha (South Goa), while the formal announcement is expected anytime from now.
Goa sends two MPs to Lok Sabha.
NCP sources stated that local leaders have recommended names of Nilkant Halarnkar and Yuri Alemao, son of former minister Joaquim Alemao, to contest from North and South seats, respectively.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani